Monday, December 10, 2012

Chapter XIII: Crime and Punishment


(Note: Sorry, pics are acting up again. I could only use some of the ones I uploaded, so they don't start until late in the chapter, and some of them are clearly with the twins from a younger age than they were in the wedding pics. Please bear with me, hopefully this will be the last of the technical difficulties.)

“Suspended! Lilah Hemlock, what is the matter with you?!”

Mom's obviously furious, and I don't say anything. It doesn't matter what I say anyway. Even if I told her the truth, that that idiot Bobby McGee started the whole thing and I only got in a fight with him because he kept calling me a “Psycho-dyko” and shoving me into lockers, she would only call me a liar. Besides she doesn't even know I'm gay, and I don't need to give her one more reason to freak out right now.

Psycho-dyko... I snort. It's not even a creative insult. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing my left hook knocked the smug grin off that troglodyte jock's face.

“Suspended!” she shouts again, and one of the triplets, strapped into their car seats in the back of the car, starts to cry.

“Shhhh, it's okay Izzy,” Mom soothes her, shooting me an accusatory look.

“What? You're the one shouting!” I say defensively, and that just earns me another aggravated sigh.

“Lilah, what am I supposed to do with you? Your grades are in the toilet, you're moody and rude every chance you get, you pick mercilessly on your little brothers, and now you've just been suspended from school for getting in fights!”

“A fight,” I mutter.

“Excuse me?”

“A fight, Mom. It was only one.”

“Whatever! I don't care if it was a million. Your behavior is unacceptable! And on top of it I had to come all the way down to your school and pick you up with all three babies. I am calling your father as soon as we get home, and we are going to sit down and have a serious talk. Something needs to change, Lilah. I have had enough of this.”

I roll my eyes and say nothing, staring out the window as we drive toward home. I can only imagine my punishment will be more of the same: extra chores, helping around the house, grounding, etc. Nothing new there. I sigh. My life sucks.

* * *

My hands were still shaking as I dialed Xander's cell number. As soon as we got home, I made Lilah help me put the triplets down for their nap, and then I sent her to her room. Now, as I listened to my phone ringing, I could hear her in there muttering to herself as she so often did. Normally that behavior worried me, but right now all I could feel was anger. How could she do this?! What had happened to my good little girl in her onesie that had transformed her into this teenaged monster?

“Hey, babe.” Xander sounded out of breath, probably just having come in off the playing field at practice.

“Xander, I need you come home early.”

“Okay. What's wrong?”

“Lilah was suspended from school.”

“Suspended? What did she do?”

“I guess she she got in a fight with one of the boys in her class. Anyway, I had to pack the triplets and drive down and pick her up and bring her home. She's not allowed back at school for a full week, and I just don't know what to do with her.”

“I hope she knows she's grounded,” he said imperiously.

“You know, Xander, I don't think grounding is gonna do it in this situation. That's why I need you to come home. We need to talk about some more serious consequences this time.”

“What did you have in mind?” he asked.

I sighed. “I don't know. But something. She needs to learn that she can't just get away with whatever she wants. She needs to grow up!”

Xander was silent for a moment, and I thought I heard one of the triplets cry out. But then everything was quiet.

“Okay, babe, I think I have an idea. But I gotta go right now. Coach wants us to have a meeting and then I'm gonna come home and we'll talk. Okay?”

“Okay,” I replied, sullenly.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

He hung up, and I went to knock on Lilah's door. Her murmuring voice went silent as I approached. “Lilah?” I asked, opening the door.

“What?” she groaned irritably, paintbrush in hand as she stood at her easel. She was painting another picture of a woman, and the thought briefly struck me that she never seemed to paint men. Odd. “You're father's on his way home. We're going to have a family meeting when he gets here.”

“Okay,” she said, rolling her eyes and turning back to her easel. I sighed and closed the door, willing my husband to get home as soon as possible.

* * *

Mom was serious about the talk. As soon as Dad got home, he sent the twins-- whom he had picked up from school on his way-- to their room and he and mom and I sat down in the living room. Now they're both looking at me with that condescending you're-in-big-trouble-young-lady look I know so well.

“Here's the deal, Lilah,” Dad says. “You need to grow up and learn a little responsibility. Your mom and I both agree that you get away with far too much, and you've never really had to deal with the consequences of your actions. So I have an idea, and I'm going to give you a choice.” I raise an eyebrow, only mildly interested.

“Moriah, this was going to be a surprise, but I won a free cruise in a raffle at work. I was going to take you for our anniversary, but I think this is better timing. I know you've been completely frazzled around here, juggling all the kids and now with this, so I want to take you away for a week and let you relax.”

Mom gives Dad a doubtful look, and stammers, “But, what about the kids--?”

Dad smiles. “That's where Lilah comes in.”

I don't follow, and I echo Mom's doubtful look. “Excuse me?”

“One of your biggest issues, young lady, is disrespecting your mother. She works hard to take care of you guys and make sure you have a good life, and yet you are rude and disrespectful to her every chance you get. I think its time you learned a little of what it's like to be her.”

“Xander, I don't--”

“Trust me, Moriah, I have this all planned out.” He turns back to me, all businesslike. “Here is your choice: you will spend the entire week that we are gone and while you are suspended taking care of the house and your siblings. You will cook, clean, change diapers, and make sure the twins get on and off the schoolbus on time. You will not leave the house unless there is an emergency, and you will call us every night to check in.”

“But, Dad--”

“I will have Dorie Hart come check on you a couple times during the week, and if the house is dirty or your siblings are not well-taken care of, she will let us know immediately, and you will be punished when we get home.”

“Punished how?” I ask, crossing my arms. I can't imagine a punishment worse than the one he's already giving me. A week playing Susie Homemaker? Ugh!

“Military school.”

Both mom and I do a double-take, staring at him wide-eyed. “Military school?” I echo in complete disbelief. Dad nods, confidently.

“This is your last chance, Lilah. If you can't be whipped into shape by a week in your mother's shoes, then your only choice is to spend your last year and a half of high school in military school. It's up to you.”

“Xander, can I speak with you, please?” Mom hisses, and they stand up and walk into the kitchen, where mom begins whispering frantically to him. I just sit, stunned.

Military school...

On the one hand, I think maybe it would be nice to get away from the school full of morons I'm currently imprisoned at, and especially to be free of Bobby McGee and his goons. But... I'm no fool. I've heard about the military and their less-than-friendly stance toward homosexuals. And I'm sure they start 'em young at places like that. I can hold my own against a single jock, but I wouldn't stand a chance at a place like that, where probably all the kids were trained in hand-to-hand combat since they were three or whatever. I'd be dead meat before I even hit first period. I shudder.

Dad's calmed mom down somewhat, and they both come back and sit. She keeps looking at him uncertainly, but I guess he must have convinced her, because looks pointedly at me. “So, Lilah, what's it gonna be?”

* * *

I watched my daughter's face anxiously, halfway hoping she'd just choose military school. But as if sensing my thoughts, she only considered a moment before slumping her shoulders and agreeing to Xander's terms. “Fine, I'll watch the brats,” she said in a monotone voice, and I felt my blood pressure spike.

By the next morning, Xander had booked our cruise and our bags were packed. I had called Dorie to explain the situation and she assured me she would be happy to be our eyes and ears while we were gone. “Don't worry about a thing, Moriah,” she said. “I think Xander has the right idea here. Hopefully this will really open Lilah's eyes and teach her to appreciate everything you do. And I'll make sure and mix it up so she doesn't know when I'm coming, and you get a really good idea of how things are going.”

I thanked Dorie and hung up, feeling only a little better about leaving Lilah in charge. Sunday came, and the taxi pulled up to the curb and honked. “Come on, Moriah, sparkling white beaches and crystal clear waters are calling!” Xander called, taking our bags out to the cab.

I kissed each of my children goodbye and bade them be good for their sister. Timo bristled a little. He was a teenager himself and felt it unjust that Lilah should be left in charge of him, but Mattei hugged me and assured me that he and his brother would make sure everything was fine until I got home. Then I came to Lilah.

“Mom,” she said in a businesslike manner.

“Lilah, honey,” I said, nervous. “Please, just make this work, okay? I know you can do this. I'm trusting you. And don't be afraid to ask for help if you get overwhelmed. Dorie's number is on the fridge.”

“Mom, I'll be fine,” she growled. “Just go.”

I hugged her, and she stood stiffly, waiting for me to let go. Finally, I walked out to join Xander in the cab. He waved to the kids and shouted his goodbye, then got in beside me. As we pulled away from the house, I tried not to worry so much. Xander took my hand. “It's gonna be okay,” he assured me. “Lilah's gonna step up, I know it. And Dorie will make sure she does. Come on, beautiful, just think: in a few hours we'll be on our way to the tropics with a drink in our hands and nothing to worry about but a week of relaxing.” I smiled at him and tried to stop worrying. Maybe he was right, maybe it would all be okay.



* * *
I watch my parents leave for their cruise with a sinking feeling in my stomach, but I swallow my fear, and as their cab disappears around the corner, I turn to the others. “Okay, guys, it's naptime for the triplets. Timo, Mattei, help me get them all upstairs.”

Timo crosses his arms and lifts an eyebrow, and Mattei peeks at me over his twin's shoulder and mouths the word “please”.

“Uh, please?” I add, and Timo rolls his eyes, crouching to lift Isabella.

“Thanks,” I say, and pick up Illian. Mattei gets Inigo, and we head upstairs. Here we go, I think.

Surprisingly, the week went more smoothly than expected. The cooking was a breeze. I stuck mostly to making autumn salad for the boys and myself, and the triplets were still on milk and cereal, so that wasn't too hard.



Juggling the triplets was pretty difficult at first, and it never got easy, but as I sent more time with them, I started to learn their individual patterns, which made it easier to anticipate their needs.



The housecleaning was a pain, especially since the boys didn't really help much. I definitely started to realize just how busy mom was during the day while we were all at school. I'd always thought she just sat around watching TV, but between caring for the triplets and cleaning up after the boys and myself, I barely had an hour to sti down before the twins were back from school and it was time to make dinner and start on homework. Mattei did help in the evenings occassionally, and I even managed to get some of my own backlogged homework done with Timo one night.



Toward the end of the week, I was starting to settle into a routine. Surprisingly, even Grandpa left me alone most of the time, and I was finding it rather pleasant to spend the day busy with repetitive chores that allowed me time to think, about my life, about the future, and about my own dreams. I even started to enjoy pruning Mom's garden.



Of course, not all of the day was calm and busy. Sometimes the triplets would keep me practically frantic all day, but we had some sweet moments too. Holding them, I started thinking about what Grandpa wanted me to do, and I've even started to look forward to it. It might be nice to have my own little baby to take care of.



But Grandpa hasn't really said anything about it lately, and I got the feeling he'd decided to let me off the hook until I was a little older. With Mom and Dad breathing down my neck like they always are, it's not exactly like I can go find some guy to impregnate me. Besides, I'm sure the last thing he wants is to become the child of a teen mom whose parents kicked her out because her getting pregnant was the last straw.

Anyway, Mom and Dad are due back today. They just called to say they're in port, and I've had my hands full trying to keep the triplets clean and happy long enough for them to come home and see the good job I've done. Mattei's been a huge help, and I'm starting to understand why he's Mom's favorite.

* * *

The cruise had been seven days of absolute paradise, basking in the hot tropical sun, getting massages at the on-deck spa, and sipping beverages with Xander as the sun dipped below the horizon. With voicemails awaiting us from Dorie at every port assuring us that Lilah was doing a competent job keeping the house in order and the babies happy, I'd actually even managed to relax and enjoy myself.

But now that we were on our way home, I was nervous again. I believed Dorie that Lilah had stepped it up impressively, but I still wasn't sure of what Xander seemed so confidant about, that a week in “my shoes” would result in a better relationship between her and I. Still, I couldn't really imagine things being any worse between my daughter and I, so as we drew up to the house, I took a deep breath and prepared for the aftermath.

I got out of the car and headed toward the house while Xander tipped the cabbie. I couldn't believe how much I'd missed my babies, and as I opened the door, their cherubic faces brought tears of joy to my eyes. I rushed to Lilah, who was holding Isabella, and gave them both an awkward, heartfelt hug. “Oh, I missed you guys!” I said, kissing Izzy on the head. I hugged and kissed all the boys too, then took Izzy from Lilah, and finally looked around. The house looked... good! The counters had been wiped and the floor vacuumed, and even the kids toys were put away. The triplets were all dressed in matching clean jumpers and looked healthy and happy. Even the twins looked fine. I turned to Lilah, beaming. “I'm so porud of you, sweetheart,” I said. She rolled her eyes, but I caught a smile before she saw her father walk in.

We both watched Xander anxiously for his reaction. After setting down our bags and walking around the house, he came back to stand in front of Lilah and pulled her in for a hug. “Good job, honey. You've passed the test.” You could practically feel the breeze as everyone in the room let out a collective sigh of relief.

“Now, this doesn't mean you don't still have some work to do, though,” Xander admonished Lilah. “I still expect you to get to work raising those lousy grades next week. And until they're up, you're under lock-down, no going out. Understood?” Lilah nodded mutely, and I smiled. Maybe... just maybe, there was hope for my little girl after all.

8 comments:

  1. Hehehe, a week in mom's shoes could do a lot of good for most teens...
    I know so many mothers who complain that the feel being treated like servants and taken for granted. Women who, at the same time, never allowed their kids as much as helping with the dishes, yet expect them to magically turn into helpful people when the get older *rolleseyes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know it would have done me a lot of good. Now that I'm a mom, I certainly appreciate everything she did for me more. But you kinda have to feel for Lilah, too. Between being a teen, being homosexual, and having a dead grandpa always bugging you to get pregnant, she's not exactly living the high life.

      Delete
    2. Now that you mention it, sounds like an average teen life to me *lol*

      Delete
  2. Poor Lilah. Life has dealt her a cruel hand, but I have confidence in the fact she will make the best out of it. She seems to be strong, even if she doesn't realize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel about her too. It's difficult working in the fact that she's Evil while still trying to make her likable too, lol. Is it coming through alright?

      Delete
  3. She already does help with the kids which is why she was failing. I think her parents are failing her and don't take time to really understand her or what her life is like.

    I'm glad the week went well but hell she already is like a live in nanny/maid. I think they should stop to ask her what may be going on instead always assuming the worst of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh an as for your pictures are you uploading them from the launcher then to blogger? You can upload them directly from your screenshots folder that is in your EA file on your computer. I never upload the shots to my media center there is no need to. Don't delete them from your launcher or they will go missing from your screenshots folder but no need to add them to your media on the forums.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I agree that her parents don't bother to understand. Moriah is a good mom except that she's clueless and just accepts what things appear to be instead of really getting involved in her children's lives. It doesn't help that Lilah is so secretive though, and that Buster's ghost keeps playing up that chasm between them.

      Thank you SO much for the picture hint! It has been driving me nuts having to work through the media center! I didn't even think to try looking in the screenshots folder. Problem solved! You're an angel!

      Delete