Monday, December 31, 2012

Chapter XIV: Teens will be Teens


For the first time since Buster's insidious revelation and subsequent death, things have been peaceful in our home. Xander got another promotion and was able to cut back on his hours, so he's home a lot more often, which is wonderful. Not only do the kids get to see more of him, but they also seem to behave better with their father around, and I have more help around the house.

The twins have been a big help too. Timo especially seems to have formed a strong bond with little Isabella, and I often catch him playing with her or tickling her when he thinks nobody is watching. He loves the boys too, but I'm certain Isabella is his favorite.



Mattei, as always, is my angel child, constantly helping change diapers, clean up around the house and even cooking dinner occasionally when the triplets have had a rough day and I'm exhausted.

But the most surprising change is Lilah. Oh, she still gets into trouble often enough. The other night I caught her sneaking inside after curfew on a school night, and we had words.



But instead of her typically snide or hostile reaction, she genuinely apologized. “I lost track of time, Mom, it won't happen again,” she assured me. I hid my smile so she wouldn't get the wrong idea, of course, and I did chastise her and send her to bed, but I was so pleased afterward that I actually cried tears of joy. She's not as open with me emotionally as Timo, or even as helpful around the house as Mattei, but I really feel like our relationship is starting to mend, and I couldn't have asked for anything more precious.

But despite things going well, six children in one house comes with the usual chaos and misadventures.

Last Thursday night, Xander and I were invited to a party for him and his teammates because they made the state championships, and Timo and Mattei happily volunteered to look after the triplets, so we left without a care in the world. The party was supposed to run pretty late. I suppose I would have been a little more anxious if I had left Lilah in charge, but she had gone out to a movie with some friends from school, and I wanted to encourage her to take some time to have fun now that she was back on track with her grades and behavior. My mind was at ease that I had nothing to worry about with the twins taking care of the house. Well... I suppose even good kids make bad decisions sometimes...

From what the boys confessed, I gather that Timo had the bright idea to throw a party while we were out. They called a bunch of friends from school and put the triplets down to bed. Mattei told me Timo was likely just looking for an excuse to get to know a girl from school he has a crush on, but the party apparently got out of hand. The few guests they had invited apparently invited others and before they knew it, the house was full of teens, dancing, making out and passing out on the living room floor. Mattei says Lilah had no idea about the party, and when her friends dropped her off and saw what was going on, they all decided to come join in. Apparently someone brought a keg, and someone brought a sound system, and, well, one thing led to another and the cops came. I came home to Timo getting a lecture from a very irate police officer.



He and Mattei are both grounded of course, and they sheepishly submitted to the punishment, so I'm pretty sure they've learned their lesson. Lilah, on the other hand, I only talked to. I want to be fair, and even though I feel she should have called us and reported what was going on, I know it wasn't her idea, and she's been punished enough lately. She did seem a little overly smug about the boys getting in trouble, though...

* * *
Today was the big day! Xander just retired from his job. He's getting older, and even though I still see the same dashing young brigand I fell in love with every time I look at him, his age is starting to show. Several months ago, he started complaining of pain in his joints, and when a doctor's appointment revealed he was developing some pretty bad arthritis, we talked about it and decide3d it was probably time for him to give up the career in sports. He discussed it with his coach, and the coach agreed to a decent pension.

Even though he insisted he didn't want a party or any big celebration, the kids and I threw him a mini party anyway. I waited until he got in the shower and then we all gathered outside the bathroom door with homemade signs, streamers, and confetti, and after he'd gotten dressed we burst in and surprised him with hugs and gifts. Even Lilah was smiling proudly. Xander was so overwhelmed he teared up, and it was one of the best memories I think I'll ever make with my children...




1 comment:

  1. Poor Lilah. I still think she gets the raw end of the deal in that family. :(

    Timo and Mattei not really sure how I feel on them just yet. Maybe because their stories haven't really been developed like Lilah's. I hope Buster stays gone otherwise she won't ever have a peaceful life. :(

    Aww Xander is an elder. Guess Moriah will be next. Have no clue how you will pick an heir.

    ReplyDelete